If you’re looking for a way to protect your child’s teeth from those pesky sugar bugs, it’s time to consider dental sealants. These thin, protective coatings are a superhero for your child’s oral health. Sealants provide an extra layer of protection against harmful bacteria that can cause tooth decay. In fact, according to the American Dental Association, dental sealants can reduce the risk of cavities by up to 80%! Let’s uncover the mystery of these modern-day superheroes. Our offices in Rexburg, Idaho Falls, and Jackson, Wyoming, are equipped to give you the very best of what sealants have to offer.What Are Dental Sealants?Dental sealants are thin, plastic coatings that are applied to the molars and premolars (the back teeth). These teeth are the most susceptible to cavities and tooth decay because they have deep grooves and pits that are difficult to clean, even with regular brushing and flossing. Dental sealants work by sealing these grooves and pits, creating a smooth surface that is easier to clean and less likely to hide bacteria.Why Are Dental Sealants Important?Even with regular brushing, cleaning the deep grooves and pits on the chewing surfaces of your child’s back teeth can be difficult. Thankfully, that’s why we have dental sealants! By creating a smooth surface on these teeth, dental sealants make removing food particles and bacteria easier, reducing the risk of cavities and tooth decay. Dental sealants are especially important for children as their teeth are more susceptible to decay and cavities.How Are Dental Sealants Applied?Applying dental sealants is a quick and easy process. First, your child’s teeth will be thoroughly cleaned and dried. We’ll then add a solution to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth to prepare and create a better bond between the teeth and the sealant. The sealant is then painted onto the teeth and hardened with a special light. The whole process takes only a few minutes per tooth.What Are the Benefits of Dental Sealants?
- Reduces Tooth Decay: Dental sealants form a barrier against bacteria and food particles, preventing decay from forming on the surface of teeth.
- Cost Effective: Investing in dental sealants can save money in the long run by avoiding the need for more extensive and expensive dental treatments.
- Time-Saving: Applying dental sealants is easy and only takes a few minutes per tooth. This may lead to time saved in the future as well by reducing the need for extra dental appointments and treatment.
- Durability: Sealants can last for years giving your child added protection long after their dental visit.
- Suitable for Children and Adults: Dental sealants are a safe and effective way to protect teeth for both children and adults.
- Improves Oral Hygiene: By reducing the chance of cavities, dental sealants enhance oral hygiene and make it easier to keep teeth clean and healthy.